Friday, July 16, 2010

Texas BBQ

Today I made sure to eat a salad for lunch and withdraw money from in an ATM in preparation for an exciting BBQ dinner. The inside of Texas BBQ was well adorned with ox heads and other Americana, but I wasn’t there for the decor. I decided to order “the Duke,” which was listed on the cover of the menu as a combination of ribs and brisket accompanied by my choice of side, which happened to be baked beans. While I waited for my order I was given peanuts in the shell to eat. Though I knew that I was supposed to just leave the shells around and on the floor as those before me had, I generally have trouble just throwing my trash on the floor and therefore kept mine as a pile on the table.

When the plate was served I noticed immediately that there was very little sauce on the meat. I had tasted barbecue without sauce, but was still suspicious. As soon as I took a bit of the brisket though, all of my fears were put to rest. This was some of the most moist and tender brisket I had ever tasted and that was all without being particularly fatty. The ribs were slightly more seasoned but still very tender. The lack of sauce and seasoning actually allowed me to really taste the flavor of the meat, which was very pronounced.

There was a small cup of sauce included with the meal on the side for those who were not happy with the general preparation. This sauce was thinner than others I had used before and was much heavier on the vinegar. Although not something that I had experienced before, I think that this style of sauce is very typical of Texas BBQ and southern BBQ in general. Overall I thought that the meal was very good and incredibly moist without fatty. The lack of sauce and spices might seem like a setback, but in this case it really accentuated the taste of the meat.

1 comment:

  1. I think that heavy use of vinegar is more typical of North Carolina BBQ. For texas I think of something sweeter, maybe with a dry heat.

    ReplyDelete