Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Fords's Filling Station

While running an errand for my internship I had seen a flyer for the Culver City monthly block party. It is held every third Wednesday and this day I decided to check it out. After I parked I wandered around the nearby street looking for the party, the only thing that I found was that whoever named the event really did not know what those words meant. Rather than a blocked off area with booths and such, the whole thing amounted to balloons in front of select restaurants, some free samples, and a few specials at certain locations. This wasn’t the worst thing, but it really wasn’t what I was expecting. I decided to stop into a place called Fords’s Filling Station for their special of a beer and a slider. Possible extra s aside, I was very excited for the fresh cooked outdoor meal.

The deal came with a beer, a slider, and some music from a folk trio (not pictured). I chose lamb over beef for the slider and draft 24th street pale ale over bottled PBR for the beer (who would ever choose the PBR?). The slider was fresh grilled and topped with blue cheese, lettuce, and sautéed onions. The meat was rather juicy, the bun was very good and I was surprised find that the blue cheese was not overpowering. Some might have noticed from the photo that I have really stepped up from my regular college days to the blue cup. This yuppie serving style was an important departure from the ubiquitous red cups that I’m used to. What filled the blue cup was even better and this nice bitter flavor was a fine compliment to the lamb. With a very delicious slider and a nice beer pairing, the meal was very good. The only thing that kept it from being a great dinner was that the portion was more of a sample than a full food experience.

1 comment:

  1. PBR Tall boy is the drink of all true champions.

    ReplyDelete