Saturday, July 10, 2010

Taco Truck

On a morning mission to Pep Boys I was excited to see a common LA sight, a taco truck, parked on the street next to the parking lot. In New York City there has been expansion into trucks featuring food ranging from brownies to brown rice. Sadly, in Chicago there are no food trucks. I have read that this is due to a city regulation requiring all food to be packaged and secured before it is loaded onto a truck. Although this particular truck offered several types of Mexican food, this was a taco truck so I was getting tacos.

I chose to get the tacos with everything on them, which included onions, cilantro, and guacamole on top of the meat and corn tortillas. One thing by which I am continuously confounded with taco truck cuisine is the two tortillas per taco. Am I supposed to just eat the two at once? Am I supposed to just eat one and leave one? Or am I supposed to divide the meat and other toppings amongst the two tortillas and eat two smaller tacos? I’m an experimentalist so I’ll try all three.

The first taco was served with carnitas, a type of pork, and I ate it with a single tortilla. The meat was truly flavorful and in addition to the nice soft texture it had quite a bit of spice. The single tortilla really allowed the pork to shine by decreasing the taste of the corn from the tortilla. The second taco was pollo, chicken, and was eaten with two tortillas. The chicken was fairly bland, as chicken are wont to be, which meant the second tortilla, as well as the extra lime juice was really needed to get some flavor. The last taco was filled with asada, grilled beef. The meat was not a great texture, but had a nice charcoal taste that spread across the two tortillas. I do realize that I had terrible control and used a different meat for each style of tortilla eating. While I may not have gotten any usable results from the tortilla experiment, I certainly enjoyed running it.

No comments:

Post a Comment