Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Infield

After a wonderful meeting at noon I was driving around the valley trying to find something for lunch. I saw one sign advertising Swedish/Thai and I had the strong desire to taste this daring fusion cuisine. I then quickly realized that this was not an avant-garde restaurant, but was instead advertising a variety of massages. I continued on my quest until I saw The Infield, a small baseball themed hotdog stand. The seating was old seats from Dodger Stadium along with a small section of wooden bleachers. The tables were decorated with pictures of players, stadiums, and fans.

With a wide variety of hotdog styles as well as preparations, the menu itself seemed rather daunting. I overcame my indecision by choosing the special written on a chalk board. I was in for the fire dog. Most of the time when restaurants serve things with fire in the name, they are unwilling to actually cook with significant heat for fear of scaring away more sensitive customers. Would be disappointed by another mild meal? I was trying to keep my hopes up.

When I first bit into the hotdog there was very little heat and I was ready to throw in the towel. Immediately after my hope was restored by a nice late heat, which was accompanied by red pepper flavor in addition to the burn. The hotdog was pretty thick and would probably more accurately described as a sausage. I ordered mine with mustard, relish, and onions, but the wide variety of possible toppings would probably allow anyone to customize their dog to their own standards. With a delicious dog and a fun environment, I would highly recommend a trip to the Infield.

14333 Ventura Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423

2 comments:

  1. I'm genuinely shocked that a place is both designed as you describe, and good at making food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised also. It wasn't nearly as put together as the description might suggest, but I think the picture makes it clear. It was kind of like a hot Doug's except with less crazy stuff and less me getting sick after.

    ReplyDelete