Sunday, July 11, 2010

Dolores Restaurant

It was well into the afternoon by the time that the big game ended, which made it a bit too late for lunch and far too early for dinner. I decided to stop into Dolores Restaurant and Bakery for a cinnamon bun, which was recommended to me by an anonymous online review. Could I trust the internet or was everything on there, particularly the stuff to do with food, just a waste of time?

As I have come to expect of cinnamon buns in general, the pastry was huge and covered with frosting. I took my first bite and realized that I made a mistake in ordering the bun so late in the day and that by ordering it to go I probably prevented them from heating it up. Oh well. It wasn't as moist as it would have been fresh, but for being room temperature the pastry wasn't bad. It was a tasty dough, although without a strong cinnamon flavor. The most interesting part was actually the frosting that topped the monumental mound of bun. While most frosting is made of almost pure sugar and is very sweet, this was much more similar to a butter cream. I normally don‘t like that type of frosting, but the less sweet frosting kept the sugariness of the bun from becoming overwhelming.

Keeping in the theme of recycling I come at last to the container of the bun, which was an ill fitting Styrofoam probably better suited for a hot dog. In a city that is at least superficially concerned with recycling this non compostable choice was an interesting one. The most shocking thing though came after I finished the bun and closed the container. I was surprised to see the Applebees name embossed on the top. While I have seen generic packaging for pizza and chinese food, I have never seen a restaurant use someone else’s packaging. Perhaps they were able to simply purchase excess pieces from an Applebees supplier, or perhaps they were more serious about recycling than I initially thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment